Advanced Kitesurfing Lesson
This 2 Hour Advanced Kitesurfing lesson in Cape Town with your IKO (International Kiteboarding Organisation) certified instructor is designed for anyone wanting to take their kiteboarding to the next level. Our lessons make use of a 2-way helmet radio system whereby the instructor can coach you during the duration of your lesson.
The lesson starts with showing you how to fly a trainer kite and to control the kite within the ’wind window’. You then move on to inflatable kites and learn ‘set-up’, launching and landing. Body dragging is the next stage, where you pilot the kite upwind and downwind whilst in the water. It’s your first real taste of the power of the kite and everyone loves the exhilarating sensation. You progress to water-starts, getting up and riding on a kiteboard. All aspects of safety and self rescue are covered.
What you will learn
- Beginner to advanced tricks.
- Directional bodydragging and kite control.
- Board starts and getting up and riding.
- Self-rescue and pack down.
- Edging the board.
- There is no maximum or minimum height or size, but you will need to fit into a harness.
- The minimum age is 12.
- If you have a particular medical condition that you think may affect your ability to do the course, please check with the centre when booking.
- Participants must be comfortable in the water and a confident swimmer.
- 2 hours.
- The start times may vary due to wind and tide times.
What to Wear / Equipment
- You should dress appropriately for the weather on the day - unfortunately it is not always bright sunshine and 30 degrees on the beach!
- The first part of any course is land based so you will need trainers or other flat, sensible shoes, and warm clothes.
- You should also bring a drink, a snack, and sun protection and sun glasses for the warmer months. When you are in the water, swimming trunks, swimming costumes and bikinis are fine to wear underneath the wetsuit. And, of course, don't forget to bring a towel!
- Everything else you need to do the course will be provided. This includes wetsuits, life jackets, helmets, kites, boards, harnesses, leashes, bar and lines and insurance.
Group Size / Spectators
- 2 students per instructor.
- Spectators are welcome, but please find out from the instructors where the safest place to stand and watch is.
- Kitesurfing is a weather-dependent sport - you need sufficient wind & tides to move.
- It is important to be aware of changes in the wind speed, direction and sea state; it's a good idea to check a couple of forecasts before you go kitesurfing.
- Kitesurfing is available all year round, although November to April are the best months in Cape Town!
- Professional IKO instructors.
- All equipment included (kitesurfing gear, safety equipment and wetsuit).
- Transport to and from the site